- Davao is a highly urbanized city in the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. It is the largest city in the Philippines in terms of land area, and the most populous city in the country outside Metro Manila. It has been described as one of the safest cities in the world and has been awarded the “Best of the livable
Cities in the Philippines” by the Department of Tourism. Davao is one of the fastest growing cities in Asia with a stable peace order and economic growth remains attractive and is the preferred choice forforeign students.
- It is situated in the province of Davao del Sur but is governed separately from it. Davao City is situated at the heart of Metro Davao and serves as the main commerce, industry and trade center of Mindanao. Mt. Apo is the highest peak of Davao and is also the highest in Philippines. The Ex- Mayor of Davao, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, is the current President of the Philippines (as of 2019) and the current Mayor is Sara Duterte.
- Though the country is located in a region prone to extreme climates, Davao is completely guarded from these calamities due to islands surrounding the city forming a barrier.
- The city is the 2nd largest economy in the country and is currently the fastest growing economy in the country and amongst the fastest growing cities in Asia. It is widely regarded as one of the safest cities in the entire world and the safest city in all of Philippines. It has also been awarded as “Most Livable City in Philippines” by the Department of Tourism.
- Davao is regarded as one of the safest cities in the world and the safest city in South and South East Asia.
- The City, though being one of the largest cities of Philippines with a population of over 30 Lakhs has only 2 medical colleges. This means that DMSF students, get access to an immense bed strength in most of the Hospitals in Davao in comparison to students pursuing MBBS abroad in other countries.
- Davao has over the years implemented strict rules, such as a city wide No-Smoking rule in all public areas.